Tuesday, February 10, 2009

More about the porcupine quill stilettos

Several people wanted to learn more about the porcupine quills that I use for a stiletto while sewing. They come in various sizes. The small ones below are about 4-5 inches long. The end on the right is harder, and comes to a more blunt tip. If I want to put pressure on what I'm doing, I might use this end. The end on the left is flexible, and sharp. It is the "business end of the quill" for the porcupine. The little barbs are so small, I can't see them, but if you run your fingers from the left end toward the center, you can feel the roughness of the quill. I use this end most often. When I sew on fabric where the top fabric is trying to stretch, I hold the quill down flat on the fabric, just in front of my sewing machine needle. It keeps the two layers together, and keeps them from shifting. I've done this so much, I've made a flat side on the quill!! These do wear out after a while, but I get a lot of use from each quill. You can see in the picture below that they are not all straight, and the shapes vary from quill to quill.


I also want to share this picture of our snow. A big storm came through northern Arizona. We had winds gusting to 30 mph so most of our snow blew away. But here is a picture of the hill behind our house from our back patio (taken over the tops of the houses behind us!) I just liked the snow on the far trees, with the green trees in front, and then the one tree with no leaves at the bottom of the picture. There is just little bits of snow in the closer pine trees because of all the wind!


Hugs!

4 comments:

Marie said...

I love my quills, couldn't sew without them. thanks for sharing them with the bloggers.Hugs, Marie

Brenda said...

When I can I am going to have to invest in some and try them, they sound like they are very helpful. Please remind me at some point. LOL.

The picture is beautiful. We even had snow here today. The thing that was so amazing about this snow was the size of the snowflakes....I swear some of them were the size of baseballs!

Unknown said...

I'm afraid to ask how you obtained the quills from the porcupine! ;)
They sounds like a great tool.

Quilter Beth said...

I am working on a program for our quilt guild called "Glorious Gadgets." The porcupine quill is one of my favorite gadgets, so I am going to talk about it at the guild program. I found you by searching the Internet. I was searching for places to purchase quills and to get the price, so I can pass that along to my guild. Nice write up.