Saturday, March 27, 2010

Quilting and Orchids

First I want to share progress on my quilting. I'm working on a Wedding Ring table runner. A couple weeks ago I showed you the arc segments laid out of the background fabric. Today I can show you a little progress:

The arcs have been fused onto their blocks, blind stitched (by machine) down so they won't come loose. Then I added the "jewels" - the fabrics that form the squares at the intersections. Where I was sort of so-so on the fabrics I picked for the projects, adding the jewel fabrics has really brought this to life for me. I'm really liking it now. Next step in this project is to sew the blocks together. I'll show you more steps as I go along. So far, so good!! I'm thinking I do not want to leave the runner square. I was thinking of edging it at the outside of the rings. Now I'm thinking that maybe I'll leave a border of background fabric about 1" all the way around. Do you have any suggestions on what I could do? Please let me know. I'm still thinking about it.

I have also created the block of the month which was due this morning, and layered the batik table runner and mat. I didn't get pictures yet, so I'll show you these later. Maybe I'll get the runner quilted before I show you.

Next I want to show you some orchid pictures... I took these a week ago, and was going to show you earlier, just never got the pictures off the camera. This orchid with all the pink flowers is my second orchid. I was trying to get a shot of the two most recent flowers. They are noticeably bigger than the rest of the flowers on the plant. I must be doing something right with this plant.

Here is a close up and the flower looks much bigger here. Yes, part of it is that it is closer to the camera, but it really is much bigger.

This is my first orchid plant. It is a different species, and I've had it for over a year. I'm not sure the pictures show, but this older one has more upright leaves, and they are mottled verses solid green of the second plant. It came with a single large flower, which I THINK was a very dark purple. The flower died, and I now think I let it get to dry. Then a year ago, I had another flower bud start up, but it did not get tall enough to even see the stem. (Again, I think I let it get too dry.) About 1-2 months ago, I noticed that another flower bud was forming. I'm so excited! I took this picture a week or so ago. The second picture I took tonight.

Below you can see both plants, the pink flowered orchid is in a bigger pot and the flash washed out the color. And look how tall my flower bud is getting!! I'll be sure to show you all when it opens! I'm thinking it is getting close. I'm SO excited about this.

And yes, I do keep both orchids on the side of the tub. With a couple pots of water on the sides, and a humidity tray below the older orchid. They grow well here, but not many people get to see them. I bring them out to share when I know I'm going to have company!
Other things in my life... We had pinewood derby with our Cub Scout Pack, and I crossed the two older boys over to Boy Scouts. I will miss them at our meetings - both are great boys.
Have a great night!

1 comment:

sewkalico said...

Your orchinds look amazing! And your DWR table topper will be beautiful!