Thursday, March 11, 2010

Sewing Day and Robotics...

Yesterday, I was to have a sewing day. But we didn't allow enough time for travel when we left the house, so there was not really time to drop me off before hubby went to his first meeting. One thing led to another, and I did not get to the travel trailer until about 3:30pm. At that time my in-laws were already there, so I got to visit with them for a while, and then we went to dinner. So my sewing day started about 7pm. I'll show you the results of the sewing, but first I want to show you a little about Robotics...

My youngest son is in his first year teaching at a High School in Phoenix, AZ. He is also assisting with the Robotics Team at the school. He is working with another teacher who has a lot of experience working with the Robotics team. The first two pictures show the playing field for the district competition in Phoenix this weekend. The robots they are building will play soccer. Notice the red "bump" in the first picture, and the blue "bump" in the second picture. One of the requirements is that the robot be able to move over these bumps!! In the first picture you can also see one of the goals. It is the box below the bulls-eye target. (The bulls-eye may also be part of the goal, I didn't get any information on exactly how they are to play the game, and no one was practicing when we were in this area.

This is the team's robot. There are very serious safety inspections, and most teams need to do some work between their first inspection, and their final inspection. There are also size and weight restrictions.

My son is in the lower right corner of the above picture. They are fastening on the red bumpers after their first inspection.

I was just amazed by what the High School Students build.

One of the items they needed to fix was the camera was "grounding out on the frame". Here they are drilling a hole in the mount, and will add some type on insulation before re-fastening it to the robot. (and yes, that is a girl doing the drilling. There were almost as many girls there, as there were guys!)
Unfortunately, we had to leave, as we had to be home early evening to meet with our Cub Scout Dens, so we did not get to see their robot in action. Here is wishing them well in the competition tomorrow!!!

Now the sewing I did get done yesterday evening was to finish the wedding ring "sausages" that will be part of my tablerunner. I started this with my neighborhood group. We are piecing arcs, and then sewing them to iron-on interfacing, and then turning them right side out. Below I have laid them out on the fabric I plan to use for the background. This is not what I had pictured. I was planning to make the cornerstones (missing in these pictures) either dark blue or dark brown. But I wanted the blue at the brown ends of the arcs, and the brown at the blue ends. As you can see, I have brown and blue coming together at each end. Hmm. I'm thinking that I might make some more arcs, and flip the blue and brown "ends" And I think I might scramble the fabrics in their positions, still alternating the blue and the brown, but moving the fabrics around. What do you think? The white ends are the interfacing, and the dark blue and brown fabrics will get sewn over these ends.

Below is a close up of the end. You can see the interfacing at the ends of the arcs, and I have the brown and blue fabrics in the lower corners.

The other projects I took with me, but did not have time to do, were the table runner I showed you a few days ago, and the next block of the month kit from Odegaards. No worries about running out of projects to do. LOL!!
I hope to do a little more sewing tomorrow. Also, I'm going with a couple other quilters from my neighborhood to see the local quilt show at the Flagstaff Library. Should be a fun time! Maybe they will let me take pictures to share with you.


sewkalico said...

I am amazed at those robots! Well done to your son. The wedding ring pattern has always been one I have liked, but too afraid to do! I think yours looks lovely.

Vicki said...

I've never wanted to attempt the weeding ring quilt either. But we are doing this as a group, and using the interfacing method is making it so much easier (I think anyway.) We purchased preprinted interfacing to use. Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a note!