Saturday, April 5, 2008

The Recital was Wonderful!

I guess I need to expand on the recital. Heather is a Senior Horn Performance Major, with a horn being a French Horn for those not in the know. We heard a Beethoven Sonata (three movements), Bernhard Krol's "Laudatio for Horn Solo", and Paul Dukas "Villanelle" which was my favorite of the three pieces before intermission. Then after Intermission, Heather played the 3 movements of Mozart's Concerto No 2 in Eb Major for Horn, K. 417 from memory which I also liked very much. And then she had 3 other horn students join her for "Sonata for Four Horns" by Hindemith. OK, I know for you non-musical people this will not mean a lot, but trust me - It was a great performance, and we enjoyed it very much. We heard Heather play the horn as everyone recognizes the sound of a french horn, but then she also made it produce other tones that were amazing. After her standing ovation, we had a reception in the lobby of the hall. Heather's mom (who is a great cook) catered the event and we all had a lovely time.

Friday Steve and I stopped in Phoenix as he had some business meetings, and I got to visit with people from my old office, and then we headed home. On the way home, I got about half the hanging sleeve on my flag quilt, before it got too dark to see what I was doing. All in all, it was a very good trip!

Now to go start a new quilt. Hope I have time this week to get the fabric cut, and the blocks made!

Please leave me a note when you stop by, if just to say hi. I'd love to meet the people reading my blog, and would love to read yours also.

Yours in quilting!

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Sounds like a great recital...come on over and see me on my blog...

Sweet P said...

Sounds like a wonderful recital. I played french horn in school a long, long time ago.